Sunday, August 22, 2010

UST: Guide for the food lovers (part 1)

A good way of coping up with stress is to find something that will make you feel good. And during college my comfort food is ice cream. When I am upset, get low grades, wasn’t able to give the answer to a recitation and cramming papers, I always eat ice cream and sundae at Mcdo & Jolibee. Food is my coping mechanism to stress. I am a self confessed Stress eater. On the other hand, when I am happy and in a mood for a celebration, I also eat! Eating as a treat or coping mechanism has become a daily part of my college life. You just can’t blame me. Streets around UST are haven for food lovers. You will have a wide array of Carinderias to choose from, with their own specialties that will tickle our taste buds.

Here are my favorites that are a must see for a food lover. I took the liberty to rate them as well with 5 as the highest.

1. Almers- You are not a Thomasian if you have not heard or tried this place. They are well known for their Sisig. You would just love to order extra rice together with their Sisig topped with egg. This place is also known for their “unlimited gravy”. Funny though that they will always give you a gravy even if it does not matched your food.

RATINGS:
Food- 3.5
Place- 2.5
Service-3
Location: at the back of Perpetual Help College
Price Range: 60 to 80

2. Kapitolyo- This is just relatively new in the business. But I must say that it certainly made an impact to the costumers especially located in one of the busiest streets in UST. Their Chicken Inasal is a must try from their vast menu. Although it is not as viral like others, it certainly made loyal customers (just like me). They serve big thigh parts that was cooked just enough to satisfy an average pallet. I must say that it closely taste like the big franchised restaurants. You can also order munchkins from the adjacent store where it will be delivered to you.

RATINGS:
Food- 4
Place-2
Service-3.5
Location: Along Asturias
Price Range: 55 to 80

3. Lovelite- This is probably one of the oldest and most popular Carenderia along Asturias. It has been there for like decades. It has been serving to students who are cramming for a paper or report and for students who are always in a hurry. They are well known for their Footlong with rice plus gravy and burgers. They continue to expand their menu and their store. They already include others from their menu and add tables to the exterior part together with its Xerox machines.

RATINGS:
Food-3
Place-2.5
Service-3.5
Location: Along Asturias
Price Range: 40 to 60

4. Mang Toots- Another place that SHOULD be visited by everyone. This place is owned by Mang toots who is a Big man that will greet you gleefully and ask you your order in the counter. His aura is just so inviting. Well what I always look forward here is its special Bananarama. This is a banana wrapped in molo then deepfried and glazed with brown sugar and syrup and rhum. I would just sometimes want to skip the main course and just devour the sweet tasting bananarama. At night, if you see torches along P. Noval, there is no questioning, that’s Mang toots.

RATINGS:
Food-4
Place-3.5
Service-4
Location: Along P. Noval
Price Range: 60 to 80

5. Pards- I chose this place not because of its sentimental value to me but because they just have the best Sinigang in town! Their hot Sinigang just never fails to makes me feel good especially if I have cold. I also love their Pancit Canton though at times it is a litthttp://www.blogger.com/blog-options-basic.g?blogID=8044554462126342048le saucy. And for “dormers” who doesn’t have a tv, then this is one of the few Carinderia where you can watch.

RATINGS:
Food-4
Place-4
Service-4
Location: Along P. Noval besides Beato Building
Price Range: 60 to 100

No comments:

Post a Comment