Sunday, December 19, 2010

Is Christmas only for Kids?

We somehow developed this belief that Christmas is for kids. I guess the whole idea of commercializing Christmas and Santa Clause-giving gifts to kids concretize my claim. That is why when you asked kids of their favorite holidays, without a doubt they’ll answer “CHRISTMAS!”- In a happy, high pitch spirited tone with big smiles on their faces.

I remember during childhood that I am so excited for Christmas, I keep counting the days, making wish list, and hanging Christmas socks with my wish list addressed to our dear Santa Clause. New clothes, a lot of toys and lots of money!

But as I grew older, my excitement slowly decline or may be the Grinch is real and it is slowly stealing all of my good perception of Christmas. Or in a simpler explanation, I am just getting older and my interests are changing. I know that I share this same feeling with others.

Maybe Christmas is for kids, but it does not mean that old people has no elbow room to enjoy this season. I actually start to love this season again (aside from the bonus, etc.) but for a completely different reason.

It is not because of the new clothes, shoes, gadgets, etc. Let us just say that when you’re older, you try to give a different meaning on things you used to do when you are a kid (May it be negative/positive). Though I still enjoy getting gifts from friends and family, I somehow find myself happier with giving gifts.

Yes! I definitely enjoy looking for gifts for my friends and family. I love the thought that people gets to be surprised by my gifts. I love wrapping those gifts myself. First, I get to save more time than waiting so long in gift wrapping station. Secondly, it is really fun to give an effort on the gifts I give.

But more important from all of those material things, is I get to spend quality time with the people I love.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment